Somehow, being able to express myself through written words is simpler than saying it.

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Birthday Blog

On October 19, 1987, at exactly 8:00AM (that's what it says on my birth certificate. Which might be part of why I like the number 8. Just a random fact. =p), a young, 26-year-old woman gave birth to a healthy baby girl who SNEEZED first before crying her lungs loose (a comedic and unexpected experience for all the clinic staff ending in a fit of laughter for them, and more crying for her). =p That cute sneezer came to be known as Honey Mariel (aka this writer). =)

Still sneezing more than she does crying, exactly 24 years later, she celebrated her birthday.


Now let me stop using the third-person and switch to first. =)

<<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>>

I felt depressed and to be honest, mildly angry at the fact that my request for work schedule day-offs was not granted by our ever reliable, dependable, understanding unit coordinator. Especially when that request involved my birthday. It means nothing more than me celebrating (if you can call it that) that day working my butt off and getting stressed unnecessarily.

For months (actually, since the beginning of this year), I have been so excited for this day and I couldn't wait for it to come. And then, I went from super excited to utterly devastated in a matter of seconds coz when that day did draw near, someone just had to ruin it. =p

Or so I thought...

Up to the last minute of my birthday eve, I felt depressed. Actually, not so much depressed as I was irritable, moody and generally, sad. I was so sure that this day would hold nothing for me, which kept my spirits low and my smile upside down. I was so irritable that I barely spoke at work.

SURPRISE NUMBER 1

I got home, all pouty and everything, when, as I finished changing and finally sat my butt on the computer chair, my mom and sister sang the "Happy Birthday" song for me on the stroke of midnight (with their voice echoing in the dead silence of the dark night). Not only did they sing the song, they actually DANCED to it! And poorly choreographed (as far as mum and sister choreography is concerned. haha) nonetheless! =) Oh, and did I mention they brought a paperbag full of chocolates (most of which, strawberry flavored?! yuuum!) with a card showing my little, round, infantile face splashed on the front?



Yeah, my family's crazy, but I love them just the way they are. Especially in times like these when you're surprised outta your mind! =D I couldn't help but smile. And I couldn't help but tear up a little either. ^^ I got so touched that I couldn't keep the tears from flowing (coz they don't usually do these kinds of stuff..usually, we eat dinner somewhere and then we present the gift..). Of course, none of them saw it. I'm good at hiding the tears, people. =)

SURPRISE NUMBER 2

Then, the excitement died down as fast as it had come. After sleeping for a few hours, it was finally time for the dreaded work. =p I went out earlier than necessary coz I had to go buy food for our busy, food-hungry station staff, and I had a lunch date with boyfie =)

I wanted pizza for the gang. Main reason because it's safe. Everybody loooves pizza! Although I wasn't the least bit worried if they'd eat whatever I'd brought in coz, well, they practically eat almost anything edible that for free! Hahaha ^^ So Shakey's it was (nearest pizza place I could find). =D


We were ordering when the attendant explained to us of their new promo. Have a sulit card and get 1 pizza of the same size you ordered for free! Now who wouldn't love that, huh? But wait! There's more! It also has a promo for birthdays! Get 1 free large pepperoni pizza on your birthday month! *So duh! It's my birthday month!* Woooot! Getting 3 pizzas for the price of 1? I say I just made a great deal! ^^ Lucky! ^^

SURPRISE NUMBER 3

Next up, lunch. With our common interest on Japanese food, we decided on Japengo (Nonki would've been better, yes. But Japengo was closer). Ate Yasai Itame, California Maki, and Yakisoba as per usual. =)


Oh but wait! As soon as we ordered, boyfie made me open his bag and voila! I see a red box inside! My gift!


Yeeey! I love gifts! And, just like a little girl, I couldn't wait to open it. As soon as I did, I found this uber handy, techie, and much-needed hard-drive!


Actually, it's sorta a 4-in-1 coz in the package, it has a:

(1) hard drive, 

(2) flash disk doubling as card-reader, 

(3) microSD, and

(4) the dock
(where you can connect all three and access it on the computer at the same time!). =D Cool gadget huh?

Leave it to boyfie to find great stuffs like these! <3 Best gift eveeeer! <3

SURPRISE NUMBER 4

Off to work I was. The gang, as expected, finished 2 boxes of large pizzas, one platter of spaghetti, a loaf of garlic bread and a 1.5L coke in a flash! ^^ My mood felt a wee bit lighter by then. At least, somehow, in some way, my birthday wasn't as bad as I expected it. Still, I was working that night. Bummer. =p

I was in the middle of working, giving medications to my patients actually, when, as I was heading inside the station to get the insulin, I was practically ambushed in the middle of the night by my super awesome friends! ^^ Imagine me standing in the doorway, looking all flustered, stressed, and rushed, and then in front of me was Princess, Mimi, and Tadz, all dressed up (mga bayooooot!), all bearing food (strawberry chocolate ice blend, 3 strawberry mochi!!) with this awesome RED and white Cream and Bakes cake at its center!


SWEEEET! Totally! <3 Now this totally made my day! I forgot about work, about stress, about depression...and I just focused on that amazing, and utterly delicious cake! Oh, and the fact that they even bothered to come surprise me! ^^ Yey! I was happy as a bee with honey! <3

THE AFTER PARTY

Mimi had to leave early coz Miko was with her, but Tadz and Princess stayed behind to wait for me to finish work. When I finally did, we headed straight for Dimsum Break for some late-night Chinese munching! I was still on a high from the surprise I decided to treat them dinner. ^^ This dinner then proceeded to chika, chika, and more chika! ^^ Wooooot! PS: Dimsum's flavored iced tea is a definite must-try!

THE AFTER-AFTER PARTY

Daddy was coming home on the weekend after my birthday. Hence, our family celebration would be held on Saturday. When the day did come, I was still at work (day shift this time so it was partially fine coz I had time for dinner out). One minor glitch though. I thought that it was a FRIDAY! So I said yes to a movie invite with Princess, Mimi and Elbert. REAL STEEL!! Movie Review: It was SPECTACULAR!!! Those big arms! And that adorable robot (ATOM!)! And that cuuuute kid (I could squish you!)! Gaaah! Overall? Great movie! A must-see! ^


Good thing the movie we saw was at 4:00pm coz when my sisterette called me (in the middle of the movie, too!), I was utterly shocked to realize that it was SATURDAY and our family dinner was due in, like, 2 hours!! Yeah, it was stupid of me to mix the dates up. Supremely stupid. =p Good thing I managed to salvage it and not cancel (and finish the movie in the process too!). =p

I rushed to Mesa to reserve us a table (I wouldn't have heard the end of it if I hadn't been able to reserve one!) and patiently waited for my family to arrive (thank heavens they were running a bit late!).


We finally got around to dinner and might I say, food in Mesa was GREAT! I especially loved their prawns wrapped with egg noodles and their baby squid abobo in its own ink.


Surprisingly, for the first time since, like, ever (!), our food server actually provided superb service! He managed to make us laugh the whole night, take pictures of us and actually choreograph our poses, tell stories of his life (even about breaking up with his girlfriend! Hahahah), and serve our foods on time! Kudos to you Kuya Sam! You keep it up! I'm pretty sure you've made many customers want to come back and dine! ^^

Here's some of our crazy photos (and those last four? They're the "choreographed" ones)

THE CONCLUSION

 But just as any other story, this too has an end. And finally, the day drew to a close, and the clock struck 12:00. It was a brand new day. And for me a brand new year. ^^

Oh how I love birthdays. ^^


xoxo
~hny~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Butterfly