Somehow, being able to express myself through written words is simpler than saying it.

Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

on the hills of tree hill: an episode review

Call me crazy but I'm gonna be blogging about a series I'm currently watching the past weeks. I know this might be a little late (since it was released years ago), but better late than never, right? I'm just glad I found the time to watch this in between my stupidly erratic schedule.




I was watching One Tree Hill again today. Currently, I'm on their 5th Season, 11th Episode entitled "You're Gonna Need Someone By Your Side". On this episode, it showed the struggles of love between Haley and Nathan, a couple who married in their teens and had a child a year later. This part shows the "4 years later" stage where their son grew up to be a cute, adorable, genius little 4-year-old boy with a big heart. In the former episodes, Nathan and Haley got into an argument about infidelity (concerning Nathan and Nanny Carrie) but I'm not gonna narrate every little detail of the story, you just have to watch it for yourself. Just know that both characters were tricked by the spineless Nanny who tried seducing the guy and Haley fell for it, and they eventually had to talk about their failing marriage.

Okay, so you got the jist of the episode. Now here's my comment.


Having found true love as young as sixteen or seventeen is almost an impossibility in this day and age. I'd be proud to say I found one, but then again I didn't so I can't .  But in this series, while watching the first few seasons and keeping tabs on the relationship between N and H, you can say they found it. True Love. A love that goes beyond anything imaginable. A love that can transcend anything and everything. A love that understands. A love that is.

Then life happens and all of the challenges all married couples face, well, they face too. And suddenly, you see them struggling to keep that love between them alive. And you see them breaking apart. Falling apart. And you wonder, was that true love? Was that the extent of this so-called true love? If that was reality, if it was true love, then I guess we've all just been fooling ourselves. Coz true love doesn't exist. At least the kind that's supposedly unbreakable in even the strongest of storms.

But it does. I know it. True love is right there, staring us at point-blank range. We just refuse to see it. We let all these things come in between that we almost allow ourselves to break our relationships apart, without even knowing it.

This all sounds jibberish so let's take N and H's situation as a sample. They found it. Even when they were "young and foolish" they found it. They followed their hearts and found someone they can spend everyday of the rest of their lives with. But then comes this temptation, barrier, wall, or whatever you'd like to call it (I'd call it Nanny Carrie in this case) and suddenly, everything just seems so wrong. H goes nutts and blames N for doing something he didn't do. And N doesn't say anything and just lets H talk her way. So then they fall apart and the next thing they know, H says she wants a divorce.

 Now let's see the facts. Fact 1. N loves H. H loves N. And both sides know it. Fact 2. They have a beautiful family and an amazing son. Fact 3. N was honest with H. Fact 4. N didn't do anything with the spiteful nanny. Fact 5. They've been through a lot together and they survived it all!

So with all those facts, what could be the probable reason why they can't stay together and just let the past be the past? Why is it that people, girls especially, just can't let go of who the person they're with was? H knew N had a terrible past, yes. But she also know N loves her unconditionally. So why go and break it? Why let some spiteful nanny get in the way of their marriage? N didn't do a thing to ruin their marriage. If anything, N was trying to save it. He was honest for crying out loud! And he's getting bludgeoned for it! If that's how it goes in all relationships, if being honest would tear down a 4-year long marriage, then would it mean N was better off lying? 

Well, I say No. I say H was stupid. And that N was commendable for having taken the blame (even if it wasn't his fault).

If and when they get through this, I'd believe true love exists. I do know in my heart that it does. I just need a "concrete" proof of it. Even when that proof is just a TV series coined by some over-imaginative writer.

Just remember, true love is right there. It's just waiting for you to recognize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Butterfly