Somehow, being able to express myself through written words is simpler than saying it.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gems in the Desert

When all seems amiss, it's nice to know that friends are there to help get you through the day (or week, or month, or year).

Real friends are not the ones who stick by you when you're at your best. No, they're just leeches. Real friends are those who stay by your side even when you're at your worst. They say the things you least wanted to hear, they say the meanest things in the most honest way, they slap your face with the reality of it all just to help you get over whatever it is that's bothering you. And when you feel that it's too much, that you just can't handle any more, they stay silent, lend their shoulders, and allow you to cry.


Not many of us get to meet these people. Some of us even lose the opportunity to meet them ever. But it's nice to know that I've been one of those lucky few who was blessed enough with not one, not two, but several friends who see the real me. The me who's troubled and down and moody and depressive. The me who's not trusting. The me who's easily angered. They see that part of me that everyone else shuns away and ACCEPTS ME for who I am and not for what I am.

I've experienced one of my lowest points this month. It was not unexpected. On the contrary, it was planned. But no matter how much I prepared myself for it, it hurt just the same. I was taken over by grief and was depressive the entire time. I didn't think I'd get over it, and to be honest, I still haven't gotten over it. But I owe my friends for having been there for me to help cheer me up.

CHIBON: My bestest bestfriend.

She was the first person to text me asking if I was alright. I didn't even know I wasn't until she asked. I don't know why, but she just knew, somehow, that I wasn't myself, that I'd have a hard time coping. Probably because she knows me better than most people ever do. 10years of friendship can do that to you.

SOFIA. My buddy.
Sofia I never thought I'd get close to. We were never classmates. But we bonded over desperate times as Clinical Instructors and we've been real close ever since. I lean on to her at my most unspeakable moments. I tell her things I know she'd have the guts to tell me straight to my face what she really thought. During my breaking down moments, she's there. Like a true friend, she knew instantly that I was down. She asked me and made me speak out my heart. Something I only do to a handful.

PRINCESS, MIMI, TADZ, REINA: My CHH bffs.
These girls are as different as you can imagine. Different interests, different personalities, different philosophies. But they are also as similar as two peas in a pod (or in this case, 5 peas). I overcame the harsh world of the hospital with the help of these girls. I owe them an extremely large debt of gratitude for they never failed to make me laugh, smile, speak my heart out, and just generally enjoy my self. They are not just workmates, they're true friends.

Reena, Raye, Elaine: My Barkada (CREAM)
Like I said. Real friends are hard to find. But I'm glad I found these amazing people who help me get through it all and enjoy life as it should be enjoyed. These girls may be busy right now with their own paths in life but we see to it that we see each other at least once a year. An annual get together of a bond that was formed a decade ago. And a bond that will stay strong for years to come.

To these girls, a great thank you for just being you and for simply being there.


This is my ode to you. <3

xoxo
~hny~

2 comments:

  1. Cheers! to friendship, no matter the distance, no matter what. Love you, Han! I'm still here, always.

    ReplyDelete

Red Butterfly