Somehow, being able to express myself through written words is simpler than saying it.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Snow White and The Huntsman

It's Independence Day for all Filipinos so Cheers to us! =)

A while has passed since my last movie excursion and since today was a holiday and a day off, I felt that itch to have me some movie time. =D

For today, I asked my brother and sister (my eternal movie buddies) to watch Snow White and The Huntsman with me. =D I've been wanting to watch it since I saw its first movie trailer a long time ago as is evident in this post. =D And now I finally get to see it! =D




The movie started off great. I wasn't really expecting too much from this one as I used to with all the other movies that I've looked forward to. Since Kristen Stewart played the title role, I just wanted to see if any of her acting skills has improved and if she has let go of her "awkward pauses and gestures". Apparently she hasn't. Well, she has if it is to be compared to her "Twilight" role. But basing on the latest "Breaking Dawn 1" movie, her acting hasn't improved much. She still has that quirky twitch that her mouth creates when she's on screen but has no lines, that "little lost lamb" expression, and that "too hard, too chiseled to be the 'prettiest of them all'" face which probably hurt the idea of the character she's playing.



However, in her defense, I guess the way she played it was perfect for the image of "Snow White" that the director wanted to portray. Yes, she's not the first choice of actress that comes to mind but when you think about it, in the movie, Snow wasn't seen as a helpless little princess being waited upon by seven little dwarfs and being pitied upon by the huntsman. Instead, she was this sorrowful, innocent and gutsy princess-turned-knight who literally is the only who can save their kingdom. So, in a way, she did her part well (if you can get past her little quirks, that is). The movie's creators did a great job molding this long-forgotten, cliche fairytale into an adventurous tale of a maiden who saved her people.



It also did not hurt the movie to have iconic actress Charlize Theron grace the big screen in the movie's other leading character, The Evil Queen Ravenna. Had they chosen someone else, I doubt if the movie would be as successful as it is right now. This great beauty has mesmerized all of her audience into taking her side. It is impossible to hate such a  magnanimous presence. You can only stand in awe at her power and effortless control of the role. Everyone sits transfixed at the woman whose gaze commands the attention of everyone. She binds all to her every word and keeps the necessary suspense and thrill that the show needed. For this movie, she's takes the gold.


You just cannot go wrong with Chris Hemsworth. That sculpturesque body he shows on screen is one thing to keep a female fan intrigued, but that Australian accent spoken in that deep-toned voice of his keeps that female fan's heart fluttering for miles. Oh and let's not mention those adorable, bluer than blue eyes that burrows deep into your soul, shall we? But let's speak in an objective point of view. For this movie, Chris Hemsworth hasn't really shown his awesome acting prowess as much as I would've liked him to, like in his "Thor" role (The Avengers). His character was much more dulled out than necessary, especially since he is the other half of the title role. But, since it is THE Chris Hemsworth, he managed to pull it off without a hitch. He may be dulled out but forgettable he is not. He sealed his role the moment he shook snot-filled hands with Snow. =D

There were a few moments of dullness in the movie but let's face it, there's only a handful of movies out there that grips your attention every waking moment so this one's a forgivable glitch. =D One of the weirdest scene for me was when Snow White managed to calm down a monstrous troll only by looking into its eyes and looking "pretty". Seriously, this one cannot and will not happen. Ever. So it was a bit too "out of it" for me. Twas a funny-looking scene though so as a comedic script, it was a nice touch. =D

Being a bit picky with movies, I can safely recommend this one to everyone who loves watching their favorite fairytales turn into gothic (or almost gothic) nightmares. First it was Little Red Riding Hood, now Snow White. These Hollywood men are on a roll here so I can't wait to watch what fairytale they ruin...ah, er...twist next. =D

Seriously though, I had fun with the movie. Charlize Theron is one iconic goddess! And Chris Hemsworth is a dream! Love it, like it, whatever. Just watch it. =D

PS: Here's me and my siblings having a mini-photo-op post-movie session and a few cool BMW cars on display in the SM Northwing. Oh and by the way, it's my first time using SM's new CineAccess cards. Me and sisterette were all "what are we supposed to do with this??" while bro keeps laughing at us for being noobs. =D



xoxo
~hny~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Butterfly