Somehow, being able to express myself through written words is simpler than saying it.

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Life of a Nurse

The 3rd of September, 2011 and our first day back at 6B.

Somehow, things went really roughly for our first day. As soon as we arrived, hurricane struck. Charts, words, medications, and people were flying around like crazy! We received people who didn't come from our station and it wasn't easy. We had to arrange all of our things, forms and whatnot, on top of caring for the patients. It soon became dusty all around and this did not help my sinus problem. Not one bit. In fact, due to my allergy to dust (hahahhaha), it worsened it. Sneezed, sniffed and coughed my way through the day, thank you very much. =p



I was the NIC for the center wing. Had 10 patients, and all 10 needed assistance. One was the winner. On mech-vent, tracheo, NGT, FBC and a renal patient on top of it all. Four were runner-ups. Post-op, seizure prec,  geriatric, numerous meds. Thank God the other 5 were fair (or I might've gone nuts!). Some febrile, some with minor problems but nothing life-threatening at the moment. =)

The other wings (left and right) were handled by two of my closest workmates, and what I experienced, they did too! We had no food or water, could not take a leak, could not sit for a breather, and could barely talk to each other for the entire 8 hours. Running around here and there, trying to attend to patients' and doctors' needs at the same time without looking too haggard and roughed up (but I think we definitely did) while trying to clean up that mess of a station...well, let's just say the shift wasn't easy.

Despite all of that, we loved being back (I think...wait, let me convince myself. hahahha). We took this picture as a memento of our first day back.


I revel in the busy, pressurized environment like this one, but this day, twas almost too much. I felt my body almost giving in at the end. I had to take a cab ride home instead of commuting coz I didn't think my body could handle any more stress from traffic jams. It might've been fine if it was my first day. But its my 6th of the week, and 4th consecutive shift so you can imagine the stress my body was in. Not that I'm making excuses or anything. =p

Shown here is a picture of one of my busiest schedule this year (highlighted). The circle means it's a rest day but I'm working overtime, 10/6 means I work 10am to 6pm, and 6a6p means I'm working a 12 hour shift (6am-6p). D=Day (6am-2pm), E=Evening (2pm-10pm), N=Night (10pm-6am).

*Note the schedule of my colleague right above mine(not highlighted)...8 days straight...Go figure=p

This is the life of a nurse. You work your arse off, you put your body and health on the line, you give it your best shot, and in the end, the reward is knowing you might've helped save a life. You wake up early, go to work, care for people you have no blood relations to (and leave behind a family that needed your attention), get yelled at for things you didn't do, get yelled at for things you did do but not on purpose, get yelled at for things others did, get yelled at for not doing things, and get cursed at for just being there (huh). At the end of the day, you go home dead tired, eat, sleep, only to wake up after a short rest and realize it's time to work again. And then you receive your pay slip and think, is this all I'm getting for the work I've been putting in? 

Yes. Nursing is one of the most unappreciated, neglected, and abused professions you can ever find. Being a nurse needs dedication, perseverance and a tough mind, heart, and body to get through the day. You need to be resolute and you must stand your ground, even when the ground is buttery smooth, even when the ground is full of spikes, and even when the ground is actually air.

Yes, nursing is all of these. It's all of the bad things, and more. BUT, with the proper mindset, it can also be the most rewarding of all. Not financially (especially if you're working in third world countries like the Philippines), of course. Rather, it rewards you with the thought that you helped a person live comfortably and happily for one more day. That you are part of the team that allowed for someone to spend one more day with their loved ones. That you helped another find peace before leaving this world. That you helped them adjust, accept, and express everything they've held up inside. And that you've become a part of the life of someone you just met.

Being a nurse allows one to grow steadfastly, in the heart, mind, and body. It gives us a pure heart (although, I must admit, we do have the occasional dark hearts at times. It just can't be helped, I guess), a stable mind, and a strong body. Being a nurse doesn't only mean giving medications. It is touching people's lives, and letting theirs touch yours. <3



XOXO
~hny~

1 comment:

Red Butterfly